We have seen Galaxy A70, A80 and now is A90 5G. Samsung Galaxy A90 5G is the most affordable Samsung smartphone to offer 5G connectivity at this time. Samsung said that it would be launching an affordable 5G unit in the market, and the South Korean tech giant followed up that promise with the release of the Galaxy A90 5G. Combining all the specs of an upper Flagship device into the 5G build and still bringing it at an affordable price, how did Samsung manage to do all that?
Well I think they want everyone to start using their products and also enjoy some of the benefits of flagship on a midrange. Let’s look at the specs and features of Galaxy A90.
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G Key Specs and Features
- 6.7 inch Super AMOLED infinity-U Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 aspect ratio (~393 ppi)
- Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
- Octa-core Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)
- 6GB RAM or 8GB RAM
- 48MP + 8MP + 5MP Triple Camera
- 32MP Selfie Camera
- 128GB Built-in Storage
- up to 512 GB microSD support (6GB model only)
- 5G Network Support (NSA / Sub6)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Screen)
- 4500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
Samsung have followed a pattern of design in the A series as we can see on A70 and the same is the case on A90 5G.
On the front, we get that almost bezel-less 6.7-inch screen which has just a waterdrop notch to house the front camera and phone earpiece. Besides that, the screen takes up much of the front space, giving us slightly over 86% of the total front space.
Samsung used it’s Super AMOLED screen technology to ensure the display comes out with the most intense of colours, and you will surely notice the differences.
The back of the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G is also as interesting. Here, we have cut-outs for the triple camera arrangement and a LED flash to match.
It’s good to observe that there is no physical fingerprint scanner on the rear panel, and it is not on the sides of the device either. Samsung used in-display sensor technology just like A70 and A80.
When it comes to camera, A90 has the same back camera as that of A80 and the same front camera as that of A70.
On the rear, a 48 megapixels main snapper leads the way, coupled with an 8 megapixels shooter for ultrawide shots and a 5 megapixels depth sensor. One thing that is missing here is the telephoto lens which is almost a standard with triple camera arrangements today.
On the front, we have a single 32 megapixels shooter to take care of selfie needs. At such a resolution, there is no doubting the clarity of selfie videos and pictures, as well as video calls.
Battery And Performance
Samsung Galaxy A90 battery capacity is 4500mAh which can last throughout the day for a standard user. The smartphone has a super-fast 25W charger that charges from 0 to 100 within 1 hour 20 minutes.
Samsung Galaxy A90 is powered by the Octa-core Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm) processor clocked at 2.42GHz.
While there is a loudspeaker system on board, Samsung decided to take out the 3.5mm jack on this device too. We would have loved to have it in there, but it might be one of the gimmicks towards ensuring better sales of the Galaxy earbuds.
For not having the headphone jack, we are not promised an IP68 rating for this unit. Till that is confirmed, keep this device away from water.
Turning on the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G introduces you to the Android 9.0 Pie adapted onto the One UI which Samsung is currently installing on all its flagships.
It is almost sure that this unit will be one of the Samsung units to get a bump to the new Android 10, so you are covered on that front.
Lest we forget, Samsung did not disappoint fans in the area of choice. Even though the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G can only be picked up in 128GB storage space, you can choose to go for the 6GB or 8GB RAM option.
However, you only get the microSD card slot on the unit with 6GB of RAM, so you should consider that when making a buying decision.
It is good to know that A90 is available in colours of White and Black.
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G Full Specs & Features
Here are the full specs of the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G:
- Platform: Android 9.0 (Pie); One UI
- Processor: 2.85GHz Kryo 485 + 2.42GHz tri-core Kyro 485 + 1.78GHz quad-core Kyro 485 (Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm))
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Memory: 6GB RAM, 8GB RAM
- Colours: White, Black
- Dimension: 164.8 x 76.4 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 206 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 6.7 inch Super AMOLED infinity-U Display, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 aspect ratio (~393 ppi density)
- Screen Protection: –
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (wide) + 8MP (ultrawide) + 5MP (depth) Triple Camera, 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps, 720p@960fps
- Rear Camera Features: LED Flash, PDAF, Panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 32 MP Camera, HDR, 1080p@30fps
- Built-in Storage: 128GB
- Memory Card Support: microSD, up to 512 GB (6GB model only)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: No
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: No
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: Yes
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Face Unlock: No
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: –
- Dust Resistant: –
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 4500 mAh Non-removable Li-Po Battery
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 25W Fast Charging Capacity
Samsung Galaxy A90 5G Price and Availability
The official price of Samsung Galaxy A90 5G is not yet revealed as the time of writing this article but the price should be around N218,400 which is equivalent to $601.87
In India, Samsung Galaxy A90 5G starts at around 50,999 INR. The Galaxy A90 5G was announced in September, 2019, and it has been made available in this same month likewise. This availability is for those in the OEM’s home market of South Korea only though.
As you go across the specs sheet real quick, you will see that the Galaxy A70 is an almost identical device to the Galaxy A90 5G. The only difference is in the chipset and the main camera – the Galaxy A90 gets the popular 48MP sensor while the A70 settles for the 32MP one.